Monday, March 17, 2003

Rafe Colburn on Perl vs. Java


Sensible(ish) points being made but this strikes me as weird :


Update: you could write Perl code that looks almost like the Java code above, and it would work, but if I saw Perl code like that, I'd think you were a bad Perl programmer. There are too many easier ways to do it to go down that route (this is both the blessing and curse of Perl, as I've mentioned).


Why shouldn't I use Perl to take advantage of the things I like (little type checking, no compilation, late-binding, strings as first class citizens, easy access to reg-exp etc.) while using standard C like control structures which are readable and allow me to switch easily between languages with less cognitive dissonance?


I suspect Rafe of deliberately misepresenting the Perl hacker mindset as snobbish and intollerant. What happened to TMTOWTDI?


No comments: