Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Changed my policy today.

I've started adding people I've "met" online as Tribe "friends".

Why?

Basically I decided that :

a) most of my IRL friends are a dead loss. Hardly any of them seem to be using Tribe.

b) I'm starting to build conversational relationships on Tribe which I value. And I go looking for posts from certain people. So why not call them "friends" (with all usual caveats)

c) I am NOT a link-whore. I still need to get a feel for someone before I befriend them.

d) Some of my IRL friends already seem to have accepted friendship with super-connectors, so I'm already joined to these people by 3 or 4 hops anyway.

e) I felt guilty everytime I have to write my "thanks for wanting to be my friend, but you see I have this policy" letter.

In fact that's what was really getting me down.

Let's see what difference it makes.

(BTW, if you've invited me and I *still* haven't responded, it's probably because I haven't been reading anything by you, either on Tribe or elsewhere, and I still don't have a strong impression of you. Doesn't mean I don't like you or couldn't be your friend.)

Tribe.net: Who is my friend?

No comments: