Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What a fiendish thing! I just got a mail which claims to be an order confirmation for an 1800 dollar computer. It describes it, and explicitly says not to respond as this is just an automatic confirmation.

I'm 99.99% sure this must be spam. But it's REALLY sneaky. Because there's always the outside possibility someone's nicked my credit-card number and used it to order something. And if you get wind of this, you're likely to really want to get in touch with someone and sort it out.

Now, I've never seen or heard of anything like this. But it must be spam. Firstly, it's pretty strange for an order confirmation not to mention my mailing address and some reference to the card number (the last 4 digits). And the attached URL goes to someone called eurojobsearch.

But I can imagine a lot of people getting freaked into clicking on that link and a) seeing spam and b) confirming their email address for the spammer.

No comments: